Thursday, June 10, 2010

mulberry experiment #1

Ally, here.

I've made several treats with the fresh mulberries over the past few weeks, but I've forgotten to take pictures of all of them. So I'll share what I do have.

Mulberry-blueberry coffee cake. Yum.

I should tell you from the beginning that there are very few things I love more than coffee cake. In fact, Becca and I first became friends because of our passion for this perfect dessert/breakfast/meal. Goodness, I'm drooling a bit just thinking about it.


Anywho, here's how to make the version I tried with my mulberries.

Here's what you'll need for the coffee cake:
-1/2 cup butter
-1 cup sugar
-2 eggs
-2 cups flour (I always use whole wheat flower in an attempt to make baked goods healthier)
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-dash of salt
-2/3 cup milk
-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
-3 cups of blueberries/mulberries/any berry you'd like

And what you'll need for the streusel topping:
-1/2 cup butter
-1/2 cup sugar
-1/2 cup light brown sugar
-1/2 cup flour
-2 teaspoons cinnamon
-1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Make your streusel topping.

2. Beat the butter, sugar, and eggs together.

3. Add other ingredients (except berries) and beat until well combined.

4. Stir in berries.

5. Sprinkle with streusel topping.

6. Pour into 9-inch square pan.

7. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the cake is set in the center.

It's a great time to make this because berries are plentiful this time of year. So try it. And let me know what you think. You're going to love it.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so good!! I'm baking it now. Did you know you have your steps 5 and 6 reversed?

    ReplyDelete