Thursday, June 17, 2010

holy guacamole!

Ally, here.

Confession: I love tortilla chips. I can resist every other type of chip, but put a bag of Tostitos in my hands and we're all in trouble. Make them lime, and I may love you forever.

This passion for tortilla chips also leads to a love for salsa and other tortilla appropriate dips. We're talking guacamole, here.

My love for guacamole began in Costa Rica about three years ago. I was on a mission trip, and some kind soul placed a bowl of freshly made guacamole in front of a few very hungry teenagers. It was magical.

Years later, I get guacamole a few times a year, only when with the fiance's family. They make incredible guacamole, the future brother-in-law in particular.


After doing a little guacamole research, I ventured out on my own and made what I'd consider a pretty darn good success. You should try it.

Here's what you need:

-3 avocados, cut in half, peeled, with the seeds removed
-juice of 1 lime
-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
-1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
-1/2 onion, diced
-1 tomato, diced
-2 cloves garlic

Let me give you a little tip when it comes to the avocados. Get some that are kind of soft when squeezed. This means they are ripe (and significantly easier to mush). My recommendation for slicing is to cut the avocado in half, lengthwise. You won't be able to cut through the seed, so pull the two sides apart and then slice around the seed. Then you can peel the avocado halves.

Here's what to do:

1. Place avocados in a bowl and drizzle with the lime juice.
2. Use a potato masher to mash the avocados to your liking.
3. Add the salt and cumin and mash.
4. Mix in the onion, tomatoes, and garlic.
5. Enjoy with the tortilla chips of your choice (I recommend chips with a hint of lime).

Try it for yourself. You're going to love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment