The 4th of July just passed. This is a holiday that requires overindulging in copious amounts of food. Preferably meat, cooked outside on the grill. And dessert. Lot's of red, white, and blue dessert. And what's more American than cheesecake?
Okay, there are a ton of more American desserts, but I really wanted to make cheesecake. Unfortunately, I don't have a springform pan. So I decided to make mini cheesecakes in a muffin pan. It took a little bit of creativity, as I was working with a recipe for the real deal. But it worked wonderfully! And I topped them with raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries to make them a bit more patriotic.
Here's what you need:
-15 crushed graham crackers
-1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
-9 tablespoons butter, melted
-2 1/2 pounds cream cheese, room temperature
-1 1/2 cups sugar
-5 whole eggs
-2 egg yolks
-1/4 cup sour cream
-1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
Here's what to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
3. Combine crushed graham crackers, sugar, and melted butter.
4. Use a little more than one spoonful of crust in each muffin cup. Press into cup until it forms a thick crust, filling the bottom of the cup.
5. Bake for 6 minutes and cool.
6. Raise oven temperature to 450 degrees F.
7. Mix the cream cheese and sugar with an electric mixer until well-blended. Mix in the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla until creamy. I recommend putting the mixture in a cup with a spout for easy pouring.
8. Pour evenly into muffin cups, filling almost to the top.
9. Bake for 7 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 225 degrees and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the cakes appear to be set in the middle.
10. Open the oven door and let the cakes sit for 20 minutes. Remove cupcakes from oven and let them sit at room temperature until cooled. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
11. Top with assorted fruits.
It sounds kind of complicated, but trust me, it's worth the time spent changing oven temperatures and moving the cupcakes from place to place. Plus, with individual sized portions, this is the perfect dessert for parties. You're going to love it.