Monday, February 7, 2011

oats and cinnamon: a winning combination

Ally, here.


Our apologies, little blog. It's been awhile.


After our 12 days of cookies blogfest, I thought I would avoid cookies for a bit. But, of course, there were some cookies that I just couldn't get enough of. I've been making these chocolate cookies for every possible occasion since December. There's just something about cookies that is too wonderful. I could seriously eat them everyday. And lately, that's what I've been doing.


I recently organized all of my baking supplies and discovered a bag of cinnamon chips. I love cinnamon. And since I'm pretty sure it provides some mega health benefits, I don't feel bad about adding it to everything. Now, I'm sure that the cholesterol-lowering powers of cinnamon are greatly outweighed by the butter and sugar in these cookies, but just ignore that and believe that these cookies are good for you. They have oats in them, so they can also be consumed as a breakfast food, if you're feeling wild.


I based this recipe on another 12 days of cookies recipe for oatmeal cookies. This recipe has the best consistency of any oatmeal cookie I've tasted, and I've tasted a lot of oatmeal cookies. So try it out and let me know what you think!




Oatmeal Cinnamon Chip Cookies


2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla (you could add more, if you please. I spilled some extra into mine...)
2 eggs
2 cups oats
cinnamon chips


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.


In a medium bowl, combine flour, soda, powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.


In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with a mixer. Mix in honey and vanilla until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Mix in oats and cinnamon chips (in an amount of your liking).


Form into balls and place on baking sheets. Bake 13 to 15 minutes.




I recommend enjoying these with a steaming mug of hot chocolate, stirred with a cinnamon stick. You're going to love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment