Saturday, October 23, 2010

good things come in small pie crusts

Becca, here.

Continuing the spirit of fall, I bring you: pumpkin pie!

Sure you've had pumpkin bread, pumpkin bread, pumpkin waffles, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin muffins, and a plethora of other pumpkin delights.  But here I simply bring you, pumpkin pie.

Against my mother's better judgment I made my own pie crust.  Yes, terrible mistake.
Why make when you can buy one already mixed, rolled, wrapped, and ready?!

I do not know.

You could say I was feeling ambitious.  Or that I didn't feel like dropping the $3 + gas just to get one.

Ergo, "homemade" pumpkin pie.  
(Thank you Libby's for making this process that much simpler.)

I stole the recipe for the crust at allrecipes.com
You can modify the recipe by typing in how many servings you are looking for.  How cool!

Best Ever Pie Crust

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening (i used margarine and it works just the same!)
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons water


Stir flour and salt together.
Cut shortening/butter/margarine into flour until it forms a crumbly mixture.
Add water until the dough forms a ball.
Wrap in plastic wrap and fridge for a few hours.
...My problem here was not having a rolling pin.  Womp, womp.
Roll out the dough and place in pie pan.



Here's where I put the "mini" into pumpkin pie.
With no rolling pin in hand, I molded the dough into large muffin tins for some minis.




Pumpkin Filling

1 large can of Libby's Pumpkin Pie Mix
(Mom always said not to use the premade kind, but here I go again against her wishes)
1 8oz can evaporated milk
2 eggs


Mix together.
If you use the plain pumpkin mix add nutmeg, vanilla, and cinnamon.
Pour into pie pan or muffin tins.
Sprinkle with cinnamon (you know, just for looks)

For my mini pies I baked them for 15 minutes on 425.  Then 40 minutes on 350.
It's all on the can for directions. 



 and you can forget the whip cream...give me ice cream instead!



Let's all give a shout out to the Pilgrims and Indians.
If that's historically correct.


enjoy fall!


enjoy pumpkin __________.

No comments:

Post a Comment