Sunday, January 9, 2011

Never fear, Christmas cookies are still here.


Becca here. 


I am terribly sorry for the delay of the Christmas cookie wrap up.  It's actually all my fault. Leaving computer at the apartment while home for the holidays and then just being busy.  Maybe no one would have noticed, but Ally and I have to finish what we started.  


A while ago...like a month ago...I made the Day 11 cookie.  What I didn't realize until making it was that this was what my family calls Russian Tea Cakes.  Why Russian, I do not know. This recipe used walnuts instead of the pecans my family uses.  They were good! But I must admit, if I'm going to eat a cookie...I want to eat a COOKIE. 


Polvorones (Ground Walnut Cookies)


You'll need:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup ground walnuts
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup powdered sugar (plus more for serving)

Begin by...
Preheating oven to 325°F

With an electric mixer, beat the butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy. 
Add the sugar and beat until well blended. 


Beat in the flour, and then the ground and chopped walnuts.

Divide the dough in half, forming each half into a ball.

Wrap separately in plastic and chill until cold, about 30 minutes.

When you're forming the cookies, keep the dough you aren't using in the fridge so it keeps cool.

I used a Tablespoon and formed each cookie into a ball, to be about that size.

(Be careful to not break them! Fragile little guys...)


 




If you're like me, you'll want to roll them around in powdered sugar once they are completely cool.  It makes it look more like a snowball I think.
Enjoy! Merry Winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment